Ubisoft has been doing very well lately, with the successes of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Assassin’s Creed, and Rayman Raving Rabbids 2. However, they have also announced that the next installment of Splinter Cell is only coming out in March 31, 2010.
As mentioned, Ubisoft also said today that it has raised its guidance for its fiscal full-year sales. Previously pegged at €1 billion ($1.56 billion), the publisher now believes that sales will hit €1.02 billion ($1.59 billion), thanks to gaming-industry market conditions, its first-quarter performance, and the reception of its upcoming games that the publisher received during this year’s E3 Media & Business Summit.
One game that will not be contributing to that growth will be the oft-delayed Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction. As part of its financial report, the publisher noted that Sam Fischer’s next excursion has once again stalled. Ubisoft now expects the game to arrive during its 2009-2010 fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010.
Rumour has it, and confirmed by Ubisoft, that Prince of Persia will be swinging to the Wii afterall. There will be several versions for different consoles and Wii not excluded.
According to Ubisoft’s announcement in April, the Prince and his newly stylized digs would appear on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC, with an entirely separate version also swinging to the Nintendo DS. The multiple versions seemed to resolve the discrepancy between recently retired industry tipster Surfer Girl’s leaked title–Ghosts of the Past–and an application to trademark for Prince of Persia Prodigy, filed by series creator Jordan Mechner with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. However, conspicuously absent from Ubisoft’s official reveal was a Wii version of the game, which Surfer Girl said in October was also on the way.
Despite the omission, it now appears as if Ubisoft is hammering away on a Wii version after all. French industry site LiveWii is reporting today that while their writer on hand at Ubidays failed to secure producer and onetime TV presenter Jade Raymond’s digits, he did get confirmation of Prince of Persia for the Wii. The site does not indicate the source of their reporter’s information. As for the details, LiveWii only states that the game was announced as a spin-off to the aforementioned recently announced Prince of Persia titles.
That a new Prince of Persia would not be coming to the Wii is a far more difficult pill to swallow than vice versa. Ubisoft has provided ample support to Nintendo’s console–including just announced new installments in the off-kilter Rayman Raving Rabbids series and the all-new Shaun White Snowboarding–and it makes sense that the publisher would add one of its top franchises to the hot-commodity Wii.
You can start swinging your Wii and exercise with your favorite Prince now.
Did you hear that Jake Gayllenhal will be the cast for Prince of Persia the movie? I get the eyes and all but he is so NOT the right person for it. Does anything Jake look agile to you like the prince? Come on. If they were making a romantic version of Prince of Persia where he got married and have babies maybe Jake will fit in then. Then, you can get me first class seats to its premier.
The marriage between Ubisoft and Gameloft has spawned DS’ version of Assassin’s Creed. Frankly, I am not sure about playing the game in such a little screen but I guess it works for those on the go.
Last July, Ubisoft unloaded the entirety of its holdings in mobile-game developer Gameloft in an effort to refocus the reportedly $112 million in funds on other growth opportunities. However, as noted by Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot at the time of the transaction, the two companies would remain in cahoots, though now only at an operational level.
It now appears that one of the offsprings of that relationship will be the Nintendo DS edition of Assassin’s Creed, as revealed by box-art scans obtained by enthusiast blog Go Nintendo. The game–which has yet to be officially announced, though retailer listings and its appearance on Nintendo’s 2008 release lineup have all but confirmed it–will apparently be a prequel to its console counterparts, and go by the subtitle Altair’s Chronicles. In the course of telling the story of the titular medieval murderer, the game will allow players to use the DS stylus to “interrogate informers” and pickpocket strangers.
Altair’s Chronicles will be the second version of Assassin’s Creed developed by Gameloft. The France-based developer also created the mobile edition of the game last year–a demo of which is available on Gameloft’s Web site–as well as the Xbox Live Arcade revamping of the classic platformer Prince of Persia.
Okay…how many sites online goes poetic on a game that slashes and kills? Never until now, that is. Assassin’s Creed is such a game because of it’s fluid beauty and old age charm. Set in the 12th century, an assassin with a mysterious past (as they always do) is your character. Your aim is to listen to your person who your work for and your duty is to exterminate. There is no such thing as excess gore because ripping out your nemesis’ guts is against the law in real life, but all glory in virtual.
As I echo one of the reviews, “Assassin’s Creed is a beautiful and exciting experience that you’ll remember for years to come.” I cannot wait to get the game on my XBox 360. The game, btw, is rated 9.0 out of 10. IGN may not be as generous but expect it to be on ‘their’ high side of the scale.